Hubster and I work for the same start-up Company. As of Monday, there were 7 employees. We have some new projections for orders and we realize that we are going to need new people, pronto! So we started the interviewing process.
Oy.
We thought it would be smart of us to start with the local college. They sent over a candidate. We'll call him A.
A showed up at his appointed time, I sat him in the conference room, and let Hubster and Ben know that he was here and ready. They were in the middle of something and said they would be right there. As I returned to my desk, I realized he was on his cell phone. We then observed the he abruptly ended his call and shoved the phone into his pocket.
Ben: Hi, I'm B, nice to meet you.
A: Hello.
Hubster: Hi, I'm H, how are you?
A: Silence.
B: So, tell us about yourself.
A: Silence.
H: Did you graduate from N College?
A: No response but pushes his resume towards them.
B: Let's take a step back. What do you like to do? For example, I like to run.
H: I like playing video games. Do you?
A: Staring back at them blankly. Silence.
B: This is not a trick question. We just want to get to know you. And some of the job is very precise. So if you say that you like baking, then we'd think you might be a good fit for my department because we require some mixing and you can't deviate from the recipe. So if you like to bake, we know you can follow directions.
A: Electronics? (said slowly and almost a whisper)
H: So what classes have you taken?
A: Pushes resume towards them and points at it.
Realizing this is going nowhere, they thank him and end the interview. A immediately grabs his phone out of his pocket and proceeds to call someone on his way out.
After A left, Hubster and Ben told me what happened and we kind of all chuckled at it. And thought that perhaps, it was his first interview and he was nervous.
2 weeks after the interview, A emailed Ben to ask if we've filled the position and when he could expect to hear back from us.
Ummmm...

No comments:
Post a Comment