Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Family Visit Recap

Last weekend, my parents visited.  I was really excited to see them and have my brother come with them.  We hadn't seen them since we were last home in September, so I was missing them.

They arrived late Friday night and we just ended up hanging out and hearing about the drive.  We filled them in our our humorous new co-worker (more to come on him) and enjoyed each other's company.  We all went to bed early because we knew it would be an early and long Saturday.

Saturday morning, we woke up bright and early, headed to the train station, and caught the train into Manhattan.  Dan seemed unimpressed by the whole thing, but he's such a low key guy, so I know he enjoyed it, but just doesn't show it.

First thing, we headed to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty.  We thought we would save ourselves more than $150 and just to get to Liberty Island.  And everyone assured me that you could get an awesome view from Battery Park.  Well...not so much.  Lady Liberty looked teeny tiny.  But it was still fun to be there!

My brother took this picture of us at Battery Park.  He's an awesome artist and I love his photoshop skills.  Also on a total side note, how did my hair get so long?!?
After Battery Park, we walked over to the 9-11 Memorial.  (If you plan on going, you do have to get [free] tickets to enter the site.  I booked ours in the beginning of October and they were booked up to November 1st already.)

The memorial memorial is breathtakingly beautiful.  It's obviously still a work in process, so some parts of it seem a bit unfinished, but when you walk into it, there's something so moving about being there.

There are two memorials - one for each of the towers.  Each of the pools of water are surrounded by the victims' names.  Also included are the victims of the 1993 bombing and those on the planes that were murdered that day.

It's hard to explain the enormity of being there.  I was at Pearl Harbor last year and the loss of so many people is palpable there.  The same feeling is in Lower Manhattan, but on a larger scale.  To see all those victims' names written there.  And to be able to run your fingers over it, it's more than heartbreaking.  There were a few women's names with "and her unborn child" written.  There are no words.
The South Tower Memorial
The North Tower Memorial
Walking through the Memorial I said a little prayer.  I know that it's 10 years later, but the enormity of the day is still with me.  I hope the families of the victims know that we have not forgotten their loved ones.

One World Trade Center
After the Memorial, we actually went through the Vistors Center.  There was one thing that was so profoundly touching.  One of the victim's families, donated their husband/father's wallet.  It was unbelievable to see a virtually intact, but only little bit dirty, wallet.  All of his credit cards, money, ID cards, etc. were there.  It's crazy to think that a wallet was found, but no traces of him.  So sad.

After we composed ourselves after the Memorial, we started walking back uptown and passed Zucatti Park.  You may recognize it from the Occupy Wall Street movement.  Quite frankly, I think these people are crazy (for a variety of reasons), but now that order has been restored, it's kind of funny to see their signs.

Occupy Wall Street Protestors
I know I just made it worse by taking their picture, but it's okay.

We made our way to Times Square and Rockefeller Center...one of my most favorite places.  The Hubster and I go there a lot, but Dan had never been there.

My favorite travel companion!
My sweet parents

I am a faithful Today show watcher.  So I always like seeing this set in hopes of a glimpse of a star!
I realized that I didn't really take so many pictures.  I feel like I go in picture spurts...I need to get better about this!

Sunday we headed to Ikea!  I love Ikea because (a) they have the most delicious Swedish meatballs, (b) you can play with all of their stuff, and (c) it's such reasonably priced stuff!  Hubster does not share my love of the store, so he tolerated going. 

When we got there, we headed straight for the food!

Yummy!!
As we began to peruse the store, Hubster set down the ground rules...we would do exactly one (1) lap of the store.  He wouldn't go back to see something we already say, no slow poking, and I couldn't purchase anything frivolous.   I rolled my eyes and agreed.  But about a quarter of the way through, Paul realized there was something *he* wanted and the rules changed!  He was taking his time!  He was going backwards!  He wanted to buy something (sort of) frivolous!

Thankfully, after only a bit of debating, we came home with a small and portable laptop desk and a few kitchen gadgets!

The rest of the weekend was spent eating and enjoying each other's company.  There was, of course, the occasional case of there's waay too many people in this house, but it was awesome to see them.

Plus - I'll be home for Thanksgiving in under 2 weeks!!  Hurray!!

Weekend was great...two thumbs up to family!

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

What a fun weekend with family! No pics of your bro?

I'd love to see the memorial someday. When you wrote: "There were a few women's names with "and her unborn child" written." it just made my heart break. :(