A few years ago, I came across the Scott Family. I was moved to read about this family's journey, as their baby daughter was diagnosed with AML, a form of leukemia. I followed their journey through treatments and as their hearts broke when their daughter grew her angel wings. Baby Allie's mom started a foundation, Heroes For Children, which helps kids and their families who are affected by cancer. The foundation does some amazing things and is a true testament to Baby Allie and her family.
During the Scott's stay in the hospital, they met the Eisenberg Family. Their son, Sam, was also diagnosed with AML, and with the help of a bone marrow transplant from his twin brother, beat the cancer. Each night, Dana, Sam's mom, would write such poignant words and confess her greatest fears. I found myself connecting to this family and really routing for them.
Through Sam's fight, Dana encountered the Duckworth's. They are a beautiful family with 4 kids, including triplet boys. Each kid is cuter than the one before and I absolutely fell in love with their sweet Jacob's smile. When I started reading Jacob's story, I really how many kids are truly fighting cancer. It made my heart break and when I still continue to read about their family, it doesn't seem fair that they are missing one. Jacob's mom, Heather, continues to write and follow a whole bunch of kids that are still afflicted with cancer.
About a year ago, I found a little girl named Catie. Sadly, she lost her fight with brain cancer a year ago today. Catie's mom still keeps a journal and updates it often. I read her entry earlier today and was literally in tears. How is this fair? How come such innocent lives are taken by such an awful beast?
I am amazed by this family and actually all of these families. How can they go on after losing a child? How do you get out of bed in the morning knowing that your child isn't going to be in the other room? I consider myself a spiritual person. I do believe in heaven and that I will be reunited with my family. But even with those beliefs, I don't even want to think about how I would cope with losing a child. Would that completely destroy my beliefs?So my whole rambling today is really about Catie.
Miss Catie - I hope you are really enjoying heaven. I am so happy that you are free from sickness and medicines and pain. Jenny, Tre', and Izzy - my thoughts are with you today. I am so sorry that you have suffered such a loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you always.

No comments:
Post a Comment