I rarely talk about politics with anyone. I know what I believe in and what I wish for the country. Clearly what I want and what happens doesn't always coincide with each other. And that's the beauty of a democracy where we elect our own officials. I think it's also good to have many political parties where people believe different things. Because that's the only way we're going to learn new ideas and share with each other.
I also am aware of the fact that people get very passionate about their political views. Your political views are also very much aligned with their moral and ethical beliefs. And all of those things can make for a very passionate and judgmental conversation. Those conversations aren't always very happy or pretty.
I don't always like sharing my view because on some level, someone will judge you. And not always see you in the greatest light. And I don't think that's fair. I don't think I would ever not want to be friends with someone because they are pro-choice or against the death penalty. It's what they believe in. And I think you can believe in many different things, but that doesn't make you a bad person or a bad political person. But I've met a ton of people who feel that way.
So because this is my blog and I'm the one in charge, I'm going to post my views. Because who knows, I may want to look back on this and laugh in a few years.
I am a Republican but I don't believe in everything that my party believes in. Sometimes, I think the Republican politicians are idiots and have no idea what they are doing. And just because you are labeled as a GOP member, doesn't mean we all are the same.
I am pro-life. This view mainly comes from my Catholic beliefs (which is another post in and of itself). I believe that life begins at conception and that abortion isn't an option. But I also know that abortion isn't an option for me. I think there are instances where I don't think it's right, but understandable. For example, rape and incest are 2 most common understandable instances.
The 2 things that I am most certainly passionately against are partial birth abortions and using it as birth control. Partial-birth abortions is murder. You can't half deliver a child and then kill it. It makes me sick to think about it. Would I ever do it? No. Would I ever condone it? No. There's just something inside of me that is just so opposed to it. Also, abortion should not be used as birth control. People should take responsibility for their own actions and abortion isn't a quickie method.
How do I feel on those other alternatives: the morning after-pill, etc? I don't know. I know I should have an opinion, but I just don't. Are you aborting something that might not even be there? Is it wrong? I have no idea and think that the more I learn about it, the more I'll be able to form an opinion. I'm leaning towards no.
Taxes - I hate taxes but understand that you need taxes to ensure that a society runs smoothly. I don't believe in taxing the wealthy more - that certainly isn't fair. If I were in charge, I'd do a flat tax - x% for everyone. Clearly the more you make, the most you would pay, but the percentage remains consistant. And fair. Do I think the single working mom should pay less than the millionaire? Yes. Would we accomplish that same thing if we had a percentage that everyone should pay? Of course!
Gun control is clearly a huge issue for so many people. I know the dangers of guns and don't know that I will ever feel comfortable having a gun in my house. But I don't think they should be banned. Obviously I would like to prevent a 14 year old from walking into a gun store and buying an AK-47. But if my neighbor wants to buy a handgun for hunting or defense against an intruder - that's ok with me.
I am really looking forward to hearing more from Sarah Palin. I really like her and respect her as a woman and the Vice Presidential candidate. I think she's strong and goes for what she believes in. And that is something to admire. She's got some difficult times ahead of her - a special needs child and a 17 year old daughter who's engaged and expecting. But what mom doesn't face that challenge? Are people going to attack her for either one of those things? Teen pregnancy happens in every family. Let's face it and move on.
Ok, time to get off my soapbox!

1 comment:
A well written post...have to say I agree with all of your stances. Although in the last state I was registered in I was a Democrat. I still haven't registered to vote for this year's election.
Anyhow thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. How did you find my blog?
Post a Comment