Wednesday, March 12, 2008

doing the right thing

Since everyone's talking about this scandal, I thought I would throw my two cents in.

I suppose I only have one word...SERIOUSLY?

Governor Spitzer...what the hell were you thinking? Thousands of dollars an hour for sex?

Now I know I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes at the Spitzer household, but this is outrageous. I just feel so awful for this family. There is a shamed husband, who, I'm sure is begging his family for forgiveness. There's a wife, who feels like an idiot and who was publicly embarrassed. And finally, there are 3 teenage girls. Girls who have to leave their house and face high school scrutiny, which in many ways, is worse than public scrutiny.

Since the Governor stepped down, I guess the controversy surrounding his future isn't really up for debate. But I have seen a lot of comparisons between him and former President Clinton. I think there's a huge difference between both situations.

President Clinton did wrong. He had sex with a woman who wasn't his wife. Yes, he's a public figure. Yes, it's wrong. Yes, he probably should have stepped down. Being the leader of the free world, you don't just act immorally and then continue to prance around. What kind of example are you setting for the country? For the world?

Governor Spitzer did wrong, too. But this was an illegal wrong. You can't pay for sex. And you certainly can't take someone across state lines for sex. I definitely think that he did the right thing by stepping down.

Clearly I am not condoning either man's behavior. They both did wrong. You don't have sex outside of your marriage. Granted, I have never been married and I suppose I shouldn't be preachy. But I think I know enough married people and the vast majority aren't cheating.

It just saddens me that this is what goes on these days.

No comments: