If you remember, I had an appearance in Traffic Court on Monday evening in Franklinville.I was caught going 31 in a school zone (where the speed limit is 20). Since I'm not good at crying on command, I was issued a ticket.
My original court date was December 22, but due to the fact that it was a blizzard, I rescheduled. I didn't think it was a good idea to risk my life getting there to pay a random fine. So the court directed me to return on January 26.
Due to the fact that I am working Rochester these days, I had a 2.5 hr ride to Franklinville. Of course, I am super busy at work and this is the most inconvenient time to attend court. But, I did the crime, I deserve to do the time. (Figuratively speaking)
Based on all of the advice I received from my collegues, the point was for me to look as poor as possible. That way the judge wouldn't think I had a good job and could afford to pay a hefty fine. Since I didn't think I could do complete scum bag in court, I wore my nice jeans.
After my super long drive (where I had to pee virtually the entire way), I arrived at the Franklinville court. There were a few people waiting already, and I was clearly the most dressed up person there. One of the men waiting was wearing ripped scrubs.
Oh and it was also high school night and all the seniors taking a government class were there for credit seeing the local government in action. Glad I can be there to help.
I signed in and immediately saw my officer. Crap. Guess I'm not getting out of this ticket. I figured that I'd be waiting for awhile, but to my surprise, I was the first one called in.
Officer said that because I was speeding in a school zone, the only plea he could offer me was a failure to obey a sign, which carries a small fine and half the points of my original ticket. I obviously wasn't in a position to bitch or get out of it, so I accepted. Officer then led me into the court room where a crowd of 30 people were sitting.
Judge seemed nice at first, but then when he read my *offense* he got really upset. Apparently the court doesn't take kindly to speeding in a school zone. And he went into a lecture. For the next 5 minutes he lectured me on how I was a danger to children. In open court.
Did you get that?
I am considered a danger to children.
Now I take offense to that. I was going 11 mph over the speed limit and there were no children in sight. And had I seen a child, I would have stopped. I wouldn't have put the pedal to the metal and plowed them down. I have never hit a child.
Although not *everyone* can say that. *cough* Mom *cough*
I apologized to the court. Judge said that he was glad to see my remorse and that because I seemed appropriately sorry, he would allow the reduction of my sentence to what Officer offered me. I plead guilty and was on my merry way with a $185 fine.
After I was released, I headed to the bathroom. Which was disgusting. I purelled myself up and down after that.
Exactly 1 hour later, I was pulling into my driveway and ready to watch 24.
I am just so grateful to have this whole experience over and behind me.
Oh wait. It's not.
My co-workers are referring to me as a baby killer.
Yesterday I came down with another urinary tract infection. Which of course I completely blame on the fact that I held it in for 2.5 hrs on my drive to Franklinville.
Just another parting gift.
So in 7 days, this will *really* be all over.

No comments:
Post a Comment