Thursday, September 20, 2012

ADK

We decided late last week to have a quick getaway.  You see, we realize that with all the stress of work and life, we really should enjoy life together and do stuff we enjoy.  And wasting time away watching tv is not the best idea.

Warning:  lots of pictures ahead! :)
 
Ugh - getting out of the city was the worst part of the drive.  No one likes to be stuck in traffic!  Luckily it moved pretty quickly and we got to the Adirondaks in about 6 hours.

Isn't Lake Placid so beautiful?  The town was the host of the Winter Olympcis in 1932 and 1980.  It's really cool to see the facilities where all the athletes competed.  We didn't get to tour them this trip, but I think we're planning another trip up and we'll get to see some more fun stuff.  Including a ride in a bobsled, which I would absolutely love!

Since we decided to go on a hike, we had to get me some hiking boots at EMS.  And apparently outdoor people eat Freeze Dried Spaghetti.  Ew.  Also gross, but not pictured, Freeze Dried Bacon and Eggs.

The hike up Cascade Mountain looked like this - it was super rocky and let me tell you, my thighs were burning at the end!

 At the summit of Cascade Mountain - We made it!!


The view was absolutely gorgeous.  It makes all the hard work climbing to the top worth it.

The Hubster was so happy to be climbing again.  He really loves being outdoors and I think he missed this stuff.  We don't do it very often, but I know it makes him really happy.

 I complained that I didn't want to wear *ugly* hiking boots so instead I'd wear sneakers.  The Hubster told me it would be a mistake in sneaks, so we bought me some hiking shoes.  They were the cutest ones at the store but I admit they were really good for climbing.


On Sunday, we headed to Long Lake, where we've both been when we were little kids.  It's so gorgeous and if we had more time, we would have rented some kayaks and explored a little more.


A funny story about Long Lake.  We drove over there Sunday morning and found a church that had an 11am mass.  It was a really small church - maybe only 50 people were there total.  But the craziest part is that the congregation isn't using the new responses in mass.  I didn't really notice at the beginning because there are always some people who keep using "and also with you" because they've forgotten.

But right before communion, the entire church said, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."  I normally wouldn't have noticed but the new phrase is the one that I can't seem to memorize and end up mumbling.  This is not really hilariously funny, but just a hehe.  Paul was less amused and said he didn't notice.  Oh well.  I was amused.

It's been a crazy week with work and we're already wishing we were back at Lake Placid.  But at least we have only a week and a half until we're in the Bahamas on our anniversary vacation!! :-D

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

What a beautiful getaway trip! Loved your hiking and lake photos!

That's too funny about Mass at that small church. That is the exact phrase my hubby still mumbles over too! Ha ha!