Friday, May 18, 2012

Picture and Brain Dump

I'm having a random sort of day, so I figured bullets are probably the best way to blog today.

*  So excited that the weekend weather forecast is supposed to be mid-70s.  We're planning on heading into the city tomorrow to see what's new and wander for the day.  And Sunday we're hoping to have our first beach BBQ.

*  The weather is beautiful here, but there's all of the white seeds from the dandelions out.  So it looks like it's snowed here.  Which is funny because it never looked like this during the winter.

*  One of my co-workers, B, is graduating with his masters tomorrow.  Unfortunately, he took it partially on the internet and won't be able to make graduation in Austin, TX tomorrow.  So I made him a graduation cake.  It looks so incredibly pathetic, but it was a delicious (and so so easy) cake.  This is how I made it:  1 can of soda, 1 box cake mix.  Mix together.  Bake as per directions on the box.  I didn't have the correct pans, so it never rose in the middle, but when I make it into a sheet cake, it works like a charm.  This cake was lemon supreme cake and a can of sprite.  I made a chocolate cake mix with a can of cherry coke last year.  So easy.  You can even buy the sugar free cakes and use diet soda so that it's less calories and diabetics (hi dad!) can eat it!

*  One of my other co-workers, the other B, is having his 27th birthday on Sunday!  So I made him a peanut butter cup cake.  It's so delicious and unhealthy! lol  It's also a giant pain to make.  But it's his favorite, so I only really make it once a year. 

*  I'm feeling very homesick today.  I don't really know why.  So when I miss home, I call my parents to see what's new.  We took my parents to our favorite Buffalo restaurant for Mother's Day last weekend.  My mom loved it and my dad just tolerated it and enjoyed the atmosphere (and company!).  

*  Since I bought my new car, Gretta the Jetta, I didn't need my old car, Sharky anymore.  He was getting old and having some problems.  We weren't sure if it was going to be safe to try to drive it the 600+ miles back to trade it in.  So Wednesday night I finally made the decision to list it on Craiglist.  And less than 24 hours later, I sold my very first car.
 
Sharky was a great car for me for so many reasons.  He was a reliable and inexpensive car and when you're in college, that is key.  He got me from school to my internships.  I have so many memories of that car.  It drove me around with my first college boyfriend.  I broke up with said boyfriend in the same car.  After being heartbroken from another college boyfriend, Sharky was with me as a I cried through a 2 hour drive to see my best friend.  Sharky also got me to all my crazy clients when I worked insane hours at PwC.

Sharky was just such a part of my life for almost 10 years that the fact that my car isn't there in the driveway is kind of sad to me.  I know it seems so silly that something like a *car* would make me so sentimental, but maybe it's a girl thing.  Or maybe it's the many road trips we took singing Sweet Home Alabama and Living on a Prayer that make me a bit nostalgic. 

*  Can you believe the Facebook IPO?  Yikes!  That Mark Zuckerberg is a smart guy.  We watched the Facebook movie which I thought was really interesting.  Despite it all, I wish him the best.  He had a great idea and I hope that he doesn't let all this money change his entrepreneurial spirit.

*  I know this seems so cheesy, but I am still super crazy in love with the Hubster.  I just love being with him and spending time together.  I guess that's how you know it's meant to be!

*  Why is there braille on the ATM drive through buttons?

*  Pinterest makes me want to redecorate my entire house.  This is not going to fare well for my bank account.

No comments: