Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Congratulations Jon!



I don't know if I've ever really done a whole post on my brother-in-law, Jon.  Besides he recent birthday post.  So I thought today would be a good day to do it.

Yesterday, Paul and I stood with his parents and sister to watch Jon graduate with his Associates degree in business management.  It was a day we've been anticipating for 6 long years!

School has never been Jon's *thing*.  I've heard that he struggled with school his entire life and that part of the reason he joined the Marine Corps is to get out of going to college.  My in-laws weren't totally in love with the idea of his but they supported him.  And then the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 happened.

Jon was deployed for much of his Marine Corps career and spent much time in Iraq.  I can't even fathom what it was like for him.  I know the things that he saw are imprinted in him forever and as Americans, we have to be grateful that someone is willing to put their life on the line for us.  

I didn't know Jon before he went into the Corps, but he came back a different person.  He hurt his back in Fallujah and suffered from severe PTSD.  Through on-going hard work, Jon has overcome and put a lot of time into being a student and small-business owner.

While I can't imagine what my in-laws or husband felt yesterday, I felt such a sense of happiness and pride for Jon.  Despite setbacks and frustrations, Jon never gave up and continued to pursue this goal.  And for someone who doesn't love parties and lavish attention, he let us celebrate him again yesterday. 

Congratulations Jon!  We love you and are so proud of you.

No comments: