Monday, August 18, 2008

"It's kind of scary up here"

I love the fact that Paul has a sailboat. I have really started to enjoy being out on the water. It is just super relaxing and fun. I definitely think this has become one of my new summertime hobbies.

Saturday afternoon, we decided to go out and bring one of Paul's friends. It's always fun to bring friends out on the boat. The weather seemed awesome when we left. It was really sunny out and just the right temperature. I could still be in my shorts and tank top but not be freezing cold. In the words of Goldilocks, "it was just right".

Driving to the dock, I realized that there weren't a ton of people out on the lake. I mean there were a few, but not the amount that I figured would be out for such a gorgeous day. And imagine our surprise, when we saw that there were people hanging out at our dock when we arrived!

It was great to meet some of our neighbors because we don't often have a lot of people that hang out there. They were drinking and grilling and just all around having a merry time. So we introduced ourselves and started chatting it up. Then they say that they aren't going out because it's too windy. Now having a sailboat means that if it's not windy, you don't go anywhere. We said oh, well we're heading out now.

We motored out of the dock and got into the chanel that lets you get into the lake (by the breakwall). Well...the chanel was very wavy and for some reason, I was at the front of the boat. At one point, during a gust of wind, the boat lurched (as usual) and a whole crapload of water came on the deck towards me. It definitely scared me a bit and I grabbed the mast and hung on for dear life.

Paul then asked me to grab a bungy cord and do something, but I was so scared! All I did was yell back, "um, it's kind of scary up here!"

I then carefully came back to the sitting area and steered the boat while Paul did all the raising of the sails and everything else.

It did turn out to be much windier than we had ever thought and had to come back in. We were only out for about an hour before we came back in. We ended up staying on the dock and hanging out.

So I guess it wasn't really all that scary, but now I'm a bit more prepared!

No comments: