Wednesday, April 18, 2012

B&G Wedding Shower!

*I'm finally getting back on my feet from being out of the office for almost 2 weeks.  So now I have time update on all things fun - my 30th birthday, the wedding shower, Easter, and my FIL's cancer surgery.  I'll being doing a post on each.*

Remember this?

Well, it's finally behind me.  And I, for one, am so happy that the madness is behind us!

It pretty much turned out as I expected.  The other bridesmaids did nothing to help.  They showed up between a half-hour to hour before it started and were *shocked* that I had been there for an hour already setting up.  (How do they think parties happen?)  And when they realized there wasn't all the work to be done, they didn't even say anything to me and headed to the bar.  Where they promptly complained that *I* was only paying for wine and beer so they had to open tabs.  Oy.  These are also the same bridesmaids that contributed $25 toward the party when I asked for $100 each.

The rest of the shower went pretty much like that.  B's family either snubbed me or were incredibly rude.  One B's immediate family members brought an uninvited 2 year old and then complained when there weren't accommodating family bathrooms or changing areas.  Said person also got annoyed when I didn't have an answer about what to do and seemed upset when I directed them to the restaurant employees.

Thankfully, B and G had a wonderful time and didn't seem to notice the behind the scenes drama.  I tried to shield them from it and at least make it a party for them.  They deserved at least that.  Although it didn't slip by them that B's dad was on his phone the entire time and didn't acknowledge them or that B's mom said the party was too fancy for her.  A very sad part of the night: B's dad must not have made too much of an effort to get to know his daughter's fiance, because at dinner when someone asked him about G's work, B's dad had to get on the internet to look up G's accomplishments.

Now to the fun!

I found this super amazing and delicious bakery near my mom's house.  The cupcakes are GIANT and such different flavors - lemonade, cherry almond, cookies and creme.  So instead of getting a big cake, we decided to go with a variety of cupcakes.  B is also a huge fan of cupcakes, so it worked perfectly!


The cupcake table looked so cute!  I ended up buying tiered cake stands and ran dark purple ribbon through them.  I like that the desserts have some height to them and it's not just a flat table of cupcakes.

 I'm not sure why my camera suddenly took super dark pictures.  But here's how the tables looked!


My centerpieces were my favorite part of the table!  I turned over 3 different sized wine glasses on a charger and put in the cup part a white rose.  On top of the stems, I placed different sized votive candles.  I meant to get a picture of them all lit and pretty, but the night got away from me and when I went back to do it, the candles were a pile of mush.  But they looked pretty during dinner!


A cute favor idea - we bought wine glasses for everyone and filled them with M&Ms.  The best part:  I got the glasses in bulk at the Dollar Store.  So the wine glasses only cost $50 for 50 people!!  Fortunately (or unfortunately) most people took home only the candy, so I have a very large stock pile of wine glasses in my mom's basement.



Me with B!  I have no idea why I'm hunched over so much.  Bad angle? 

One thing the bridesmaids definitely came through on were the prize baskets.  We pulled names for prizes for a long time!

Despite the total madness that ensued, (I haven't even started talking about how not one single person helped clean up or that my most amazing husband served as a "bridesmaid" during gift opening because the girls all sat around at the bar.) I thought it was a fun evening.  B and G seemed so genuinely happy the entire night, so that made me feel like it was all worth it.

Happy Couples Bridal Shower B and G!

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

WOW...and I say that for 2 reasons...first you did an amazing job and your friends are so blessed by you...second WOW shame on those bridesmaids.

What a lovely affair you put on. And I love your centerpiece idea! Are you on Pinterest?