Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Me Me Me

I'm not sure if I have posted about this before, but I have become increasingly appalled at the selfish behavior that I am surrounded by each and every day.  It's so upsetting and infuriating.

This morning, we passed a car accident on the way to work.  It must have been fairly serious as there were a lot of police cars and ambulances.  I was praying for the people in the accident that there weren't any serious injuries.  The ambulance started to come through and shockingly not one car moved over to let the ambulance through.  This was so frustrating and sad.

There was an ambulance with flashing lights and not one. single. person. moved their car over so that it could get through.

What incredible selfishness.

What if someone in that ambulance was in serious danger?  What if they needed immediate care?

This behavior is also typical of the people in my town.  I have seen this many times.

The other piece of selfishness is related to a friend's wedding.

The Hubster and I are both in the wedding party. The bride (B) and groom (G) have very shaky relationships with their own family, but decided to get married in the B's hometown. 

When I asked B if anyone was planning her shower and that I wanted to help, she told me that no one had talked about it.  And since I can't help myself, I offered to throw it.  B was so nice about it and said that I didn't have to do it and that she could throw it herself.  I told her that was silly and to let me handle it from here.

After it became established that I would throw the shower, the rest of the bridal party assumed that I would be doing the remainder of the work - the bachelorette party, all shower planning, and any other wedding related plan. 

I sent an email out to the rest of the girls and basically told them I would take care of the shower and for anyone else to let me know what the plans for the Bachelorette were and that I would be happy to attend.  Only, no one did anything. 

I figured out why.  B and G decided they wanted Bachelor and Bachelorette trips.  Him to New Orleans and Her to Las Vegas.  It would be different weeks because many of the bridal party members were married with kids, so one parent would have to stay home while the other was out.  And because they are the bride and groom, they don't feel like it's appropriate for them to have to pay for the trips because typically at these parties, the bride and groom don't pay.  Yes, the bride and groom don't pay at a PARTY, not a week-long booze-fest vacation.

I freaked out at the though of having to pay all this money - a dress, shoes, tux rental, week in Vegas, a week in New Orleans, a shower, a second shower, travel to and from the shower, travel to and from the wedding, a wedding present...and the list sort of goes on when you're in a wedding.  Hubster calmed me down and said that unfortunately we're going to have to do all of these things because it's for our friends and due to the other aspects of our relationship, we don't have a choice.

I didn't like it, but accepted it and moved on.  I started planning and getting shower stuff under control.  I found all these great things for centerpieces and favors and such.  I emailed all the girls in the bridal party and asked them to help out with making favors, door prizes, and contributing financially, I have not heard anything back other than that it's expensive and no one really has the money.

I'm shocked.  No one wants to spend this kind of money on someone else's wedding.  All in, Hubster and I will have spent nearly $5,000 on B and G's wedding.  $5,000.  That's my dream trip to Italy that I don't think we're taking in October.

Now I'm just saddened at the selfishness surrounding this wedding.  The whole point of getting married is the marriage.  Not the fabulous trips or outrageous registry or demanding shower requests or even the wedding itself.   The marriage is the most important part about getting married.

And to think that someone else will indulge the rest or be okay with it is just selfish and inconsiderate.

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

That is so sad about the ambulance story. Reminds me of similar stories here in my town, already 3 hit and runs of motorist to pedestrians in the last few weeks...leaving the pedestrian dead! Who does that! Who hits someone with their car and leaves!?

Wow I can't believe y'all have spent 5K contributing to your friends wedding events. That's A LOT of money. I don't think we even spent that mush towards our best friends weddings. You both are certainly very generous. Next time I guess if you realize you are the only ones caring enough to do stuff like this for somebody - just keep it simple. I think it's sort of selfish of the B & G to want such expensive bachelor/ette trips. It's one thing to do something "in-town" and everyone pay...but flying to a destination and all the expenses that come with a trip like that is asking a lot IMO.