Thursday, April 26, 2012

Turning 30


I just saw this list yesterday - Turning 30:  30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know - and I thought it might be fun to see how I measure up.

By 30, you should have ...
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.   
I can't imagine a boyfriend I would want to go back to.  I'm in a place where I'm comfortable with how my relationships ended.  They are all, in fact, a large reminder of how much I have grown and learned from them.
 2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.   
The first big furniture I bought was my bedroom set.  I got it when I bought my townhouse.  Everything else was a hand-me-down, but I was set on getting the bedroom set of my dreams.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.   
Clearly I got this one! ;-)
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.  
Oh yeah...multiple!
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.   
I'm happy to be where I am in life.  I worked hard to get here!  I admit, I miss being young and carefree, but responsible and content is pretty great too.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. 
 I had a fun time in college...and I'm proud of it!
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.  
I did start my 401(k) and am trying to ensure my retirement.  It feels good to have a goal.
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.   
Technically yes, but technically the Hubster has access too.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.  
I'm proud of my job accomplishments and I've worked damn hard to get here.
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.   
My girlfriends are the best in the world.  I'd never trade them for anything.
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.   
I have screwdrivers.  I know I don't have a cordless drill.  But the black lace bra...yeah, I'm on that! lol
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. 
My Coach bag - a reward for passing my CPA exam.
13. The belief that you deserve it.   
I don't deserve this amazing life I have, but I am so very grateful for it.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.   
Yes.  Although I intensely dislike them all!  I use the same cream my grandmother used for 60+ years to ensure her awesome skin.  I work out as often as I can motivate myself.  And the rest of life, I'll figure out as it comes!
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.   
Yes!!

By 30, you should know ...
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.  
I found an awesome man who loves me just as I am.
2. How you feel about having kids.  
I love kids and look forward to having them one day.
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.  
I'm working on these.  I'm not so good at any of them.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away.  
I'm learning this balance too.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.  
I believe the Hubster would agree!
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.  
Hilary Clinton.  Frieda is the only great-grandmother's name I know.  And the best tailor I've ever met is Bev...she lives in my mom's town and I'd drive the 7 hours to go to her.
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.  
Once I got over the idea that it would be scary, I actually kind of liked it.
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.   
Straight into the Hubster's arms
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.   
Yes, all things that took until I was 30 to understand...I can wear heels to be taller or flats if I'm feeling short.  My hips are my hips...I'll have to just love them.  And my parents are so funny and crazy, but I love them to death.
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.   
My childhood was amazing...and I wouldn't change a second of it.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.   
Thank goodness I learned that a *long* time ago!
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.   
Ummm...no flossing?  I better get on that train a little more!
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.  
This is a life lesson that I think I'm still working through.
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.   
I apologize for things that aren't my fault.  This is what I should do in my 30s.
15. Why they say life begins at 30   
I'm ready for life to come at me...whatever it is...I can do it!

So all in all, I think I stack up pretty well!

No comments: