Thursday, August 25, 2011

Madness!!!

In the last year, NYC/Long Island has been hit with (a) a tornado, (b) the worst winter in 10 years, (c) an earthquake and apparently (d) a hurricane.

A hurricane?!?!

When I moved here (and apparently we are able to announce where we live officially), I thought that the weather would be a bit warmer than Buffalo. I was looking forward to less snow and more sunshine.

Instead it's been 3 natural disasters that I didn't think really struck the Northeastern portion of the country.

Oh man...was I wrong!

Since we live in the direct path of Hurricane Irene, I figured that I should do *something* to prepare, but I'm not quite sure what it is yet.

I can be ready for a blizzard of any magnitude in a heartbeat. You need snow clothes, boots, hot chocolate, and a shovel.

I think for a tornado you are supposed to be in the basement with water and food.

I'm not sure what earthquake *preparedness* is, but I think you're supposed to go under something big and heavy so that nothing falls on you. (Note: I did neither during our recent earthquake - I sat in my desk chair and wondered why the windows were shaking!)

I posed the question on Facebook about what I needed. Some friends posted about the bottled water, canned goods, blah, blah. The best one I got is from a childhood friend who suggested this:

Step 1: make beef jerky.
Step 2: get bike helmet.
Step 3: sit in dark basement eating beef jerky and wearing bike helmet. This is a perfectly suitable activity even if there is no hurricane. Find a recipe online that suits your tastes.


Love it.

So if you need me this weekend, I'll be the girl in the pink helmet eating beef jerky.

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

That suggestion by your friend was so funny! :)

I know I read all my east coast friend's FB posts about the quake. I grew up with earthquakes in So Cal. At school we would get under our desks. At home we would get under the doorway.

Praying you stay safe while Irene passes through. Hopefully the winds aren't too strong and won't damage your home.