Last Thursday, I went to the eye doctor to get a vision check up. I was on my last pair of contacts, and I thought it would be a good idea to have someone check my vision and order some new contacts.
A co-worker recommended a place near work, so I made an appointment for after work hours. The place seemed nice and clean. And then I quickly realized that I was clearly out of my price range. The frames started at around $299. Those were for the Calvin Klein frames. If I wanted Dolce & Gabbana frames, well those were like $400. And if I wanted to be *really* cool, I could get Chanel sunglasses frames for $799. That would be frames only. Lenses are extra. Yikes. And no thank you. My no name glasses are working perfectly for me, thankyouverymuch.
I got called back into the exam room and the doctor seemed really nice. She took a bunch of measurements and did a whole bunch of tests. Then she said "hmm, let me look at your eye a little closer." I've been in this position before and it never works out.
She finished the exam and said to me, "You have a serious problem. I see a small ulcer forming in your left eye which is due to your contacts. We have to treat this right away because it could cause blindness."
Blindness!
Of course I freak out, pay the co-pay, grab the prescription and run straight to the pharmacy for my $70 worth of eye medicines.
I diligently put drops into my eyes every 2 hours and smear some eye gunk on my eyeball (yes, my eyeball) and treat it through the night.
I return to the doctor's office Friday afternoon for my check up.
I see a different doctor who puts the dye in my eyes and checks around. I then get this diagnosis:
"I don't know why she sent you back here because I don't see any ulcer. I think you have an allergy to the solution you use. Let's use the drops for a few more days. Come back Monday and I think you can put the contacts back in."
What?!?! I inquired about the first diagnosis and why this one is so different.
"Well," the doctor says, "Dr. M that you saw yesterday is very good but she tends to over-diagnose."
I'm trying to draw the connection between "very good" and "over-diagnose". I haven't gotten there yet.
I went back home, continued to use the drops, and wore my glasses all weekend. Which, make me feel like I'm wearing pajamas all the time. Especially because I generally only wear them when I have my pajamas on!
This afternoon, I went back to the eye place, and saw the doctor from Friday for my follow up.
The first thing she said to me was, "why are you wearing glasses? You should have your contacts in." Oy vey!
Needless to say, after an exam, my allergies or dry eye or ulcer or whatever the heck happened to my eyes are cured. I'm back in contacts. That might be a bit stronger than I'm used to, so now I might have *super* vision. Seriously. The stuff that looked like a stain on the carpet, is actually dirt that I should vacuum up.
I think I'm going to order my new contacts and call it a day. No more going to these people.

3 comments:
My husband was diagnosed with ulcers too! After the optometrist diagnosed him with this, we went to a opthamologist. Same diagnosis. They said it's from years of wearing contacts and getting eye infections from not taking care of them or keeping them clean. I too was really concerned to learn you can go blind if the ulcers get worse. Glad yours were either never really there (over diagnosed) or went away after the medication. My hubby is doing better at taking care of his contacts, the opthamologist also suggested using a face wash like cetaphil to wash his face and eye area every night. Maybe one day we can afford lasik for him.
I'm going to really try to be better at wearing contacts less now. I think I'm going to attempt to switch to daily wear lenses, so that the protein can't really build up on them and cause the infections or ulcers or whatever happens.
I'm glad to hear your hubby is doing better! My eye doctor suggested to use a warm wash cloth on your eyes in the morning and to put a drop of artificial tears in first thing in the AM and after you take them out at night. She said that it will help to remoisturize whatever the contacts took out.
These are also the people that "over-diagnosed" me. So take it with a grain of salt...but so far it seems to be working for me.
Lasik seems like it would be amazing. We'll have to start saving our pennies!! :)
Holy smokes! That's scary! I woud have panicked like you did - whatever it takes :) glad to hear you are back in contacts now!
Post a Comment