There are some moments in life that you will always remember where you were and what you were doing. Today is one of those days.
I remember September 11, 2001 as if it were yesterday. It was a Tuesday and I didn't have class until 10. On those days, I usually got up around 8 and met Trina and Joe for breakfast. Everything seemed to be going as usual that morning and when I turned on the TV, I saw that a plane had hit The World Trade Center. Matt Lauer was saying that they were showing live footage of it. As I was watching TV, I saw the second plane hit. It was really shocking. I didn't really think too much of it, but wondered how 2 planes would do that and what a weird random coincidence it was. (Remember the days where you didn't think a terrorist would do something?)
I left for class and met up with Trina. I remember telling her what happened as we walked towards Old Main. On the way, one of the history professors stopped us on the street and said another plane had hit the Pentagon. Immediately, we knew there was something else going on. By the time we got into Old Main's Snack Bar, everyone was crowding around the TV trying to see what was going on. It was awful. I soon realized that I had to get to class.
All of my accounting classes went on that day, business as usual. After class, I practically ran back to my apartment to find Beth and Krista glued to the news. I think I threw my stuff in my room and spent the rest of the day on the couch. I just remember feeling such a horrible sense of dread and that this was the worst thing that I had ever seen. We all went to church that night and just prayed for all those people who had died. I don't remember crying but rather feeling like I had to watch it. Like if I didn't watch the coverage, it would be disrespectful in some way.
Since that day, we have come to learn a lot more about who was responsible and why it happened. And while today marks the 6th anniversary, seeing the images from 6 years ago, doesn't make me feel any better. I swear deep in my heart, I feel the same way I did that sunny morning.This summer I read the book called "Love You, Mean It." It's by 4 women who lost their husbands 6 years ago in the World Trade Center. I thought of them this morning and how hard today must be for them. I hope they know that their book was inspiring. It really made me realize how fragile life is. How it can really all be taken away by anything in a second. And that we really should make the most of our time with each other.
To all of those who lost their loved ones 6 years ago - I hope you know they are not forgotten.
To all of those who are currently fighting for our freedom - Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment