Thursday, August 23, 2012

Food For the Soul

We just got back from one of the best weekends we've had in a *very* long time.  For some reason, whenever we're home with family and friends, we just feel so at ease.  There's little stress and we're just so happy to be with everyone.

Thursday, the Hubster went fishing with his Grandpa and Dad.  They only caught one fish, but he thoroughly enjoyed being back out on the lake and hanging out.  The best part?  His hat!  I'm so happy he was sensible and decided to wear sunscreen and a hat!


Thursday night, we went our separate ways...Paul went to visit some friends and I hung out with my brother.  Dan and I decided to peek in on my mom's art class! Our mom teaches watercolor, calligraphy, and pen and ink to adult students 1-2 nights a week.  She's done this for as long as I can remember.  My mom's such a talented artist and it's so awesome that she shares that gift with others.

Dan is also very talented...I, however, have zero artistic talent.  I try very hard though!


Isn't the classroom so adorable?  It's an old one room school house that they've updated and let art people use.  Mom teaches there a few times a week and paints in the open studio time once a week too.  They have seminars and all kinds of stuff there, too.  It's really neat.

Of course no trip home would be satisfactory without a trip to get my favorite ice cream - Two Berry Twist!  It's red raspberry sherbet and black raspberry yogurt.  So delicious!!

Friday we spent most of the day with some of our very best friends.  Shawn used to live with Paul and we all got married within 6 weeks of each other.  Shawn and Megan are such awesome friends and we absolutely love Connor to pieces.  He just turned 1 so we were so happy to see how big he's getting!

Isn't this face the cutest?  Connor's just starting to say adorable things like "Hi Dada".

We got this munchkin the blocks and I painted him a toybox for his birthday.  We just got a video emailed to us showing how much he loves putting the blocks in and out of the box.

Friday night we took my family to the Buffalo Bison's game for my Dad's birthday (from July).  (The Bisons are the Met's AAA Minor League team.)  We had a great time and my dad was so happy to be there with all of us.  Even my mom went - she hates sports of every kind, so it was fun to have her there.  And she even kind of paid attention!

Since it was Friday night, the Bisons have a "Friday Night Bash" which features lots of giveaways and fireworks!  Since we didn't get to see fireworks in person on the 4th this year, I was happy to have fun music, family, and fireworks!

Saturday, we made it to the Erie County Fair.  (I wrote about the fair and the reason we go every year here.)

The one exhibit had real reindeer!  This was one of the babies!

One of the building always has fun stuff to buy.  While I was looking at cute purses, Paul wandered away from me and I continued on with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.  When we caught up with each other, I noticed from afar that the Hubster was having his shoes cleaned.  We giggled about it until we realized that he actually bought the stuff!  Oh well - it was only $20 and his shoes really do look cleaner! hehe

 Ahh, carnival games!  Unfortunately we didn't win anything.  Bummer!

 We splurged and paid the $1 to see the wild animals.  And these tigers were so adorable!!


One of my favorite places - Tim Hortons!!!!

And the best part of the weekend:
The Hubster and I are going to be an auntie and uncle!!  During brunch on Saturday, we found out Paul's sister is expecting!!!!  So excited and thrilled for them.  I've already started buying fun stuff for the baby.  And my mother-in-law is over the moon.  She held back for about 2 hours before she called every relative under the sun.  Tomorrow is the first sonogram for Baby M and we can't wait to hear all about it!

No comments: