Hi, my name is Sarah, and I'm addicted to making things I see on Pinterest.
Seriously. I see something I think I can do and I have to fight this incredible urge not to run to the nearest craft store and buy all the necessary supplies.
This past week, however, I indulged.
We're having a 4th of July party at our house this year and since Pinterest gives the *best* ideas ever, I thought I'd have a Pinterest party! So if you're my friend on Pinterest, that's why I've been pinning as many red, white, and blue food recipes that I can get my hands on!
I found this wreath on Pinterest a few months ago and realized that it seemed super simple to make. And then when we decided to throw the party, I figured why not try making it!
So I headed to Michaels. One of the most deadly places for my credit card...
I found this wreath on Pinterest a few months ago and realized that it seemed super simple to make. And then when we decided to throw the party, I figured why not try making it!
So I headed to Michaels. One of the most deadly places for my credit card...
I bought a small foam wreath for $1.99 and 3 skeins of yarn for $1.99 each. I realized that since this was my first try at this and because I didn't know if it would work, I didn't get the nice expensive yarn. Maybe for a more elaborate wreath next time...
Since there weren't any directions on how to do this wreath, I just jumped in. I started with the red yarn and knotted it in the back. Then I started wrapping the yarn around the wreath and made sure that in the back, I was wrapping over the tail from the knot. I estimated how much red I would need for the first stripe. When I finished wrapping (I had to go over it twice.), I tied it off in the back.
Then I went to work with the white and alternated with red until I got about 2/3 of it done. Then I added blue.
It actually didn't take as long as I thought it would. It was fairly easy to wrap and just more of a pain to have to wrap the skein around it.
To finish it off, I bought white felt star shaped stickers and stuck them on. A few days later and they aren't really staying on so nicely, so I'm probably going to get out my glue gun and permanently attach them. I think I'm also going to hot glue the knots in the back too, just to make sure they don't unravel.
I'm so happy to have my wreath done. I'm hoping to make another one for my mom. She'll love it!
The pictures were taken on my bed, with my iPhone, because it was during the heat wave here. My town was on brown out and the living room air conditioner wasn't working so well. And it was hot hot hot in the apartment. Since the bedroom air conditioning was working, I barricaded myself in the bedroom for the night. I put on the dvr'd episode of Dallas (my new guilty pleasure for the summer) and started wrapping. So fun!
Since there weren't any directions on how to do this wreath, I just jumped in. I started with the red yarn and knotted it in the back. Then I started wrapping the yarn around the wreath and made sure that in the back, I was wrapping over the tail from the knot. I estimated how much red I would need for the first stripe. When I finished wrapping (I had to go over it twice.), I tied it off in the back.
Then I went to work with the white and alternated with red until I got about 2/3 of it done. Then I added blue.
It actually didn't take as long as I thought it would. It was fairly easy to wrap and just more of a pain to have to wrap the skein around it.
To finish it off, I bought white felt star shaped stickers and stuck them on. A few days later and they aren't really staying on so nicely, so I'm probably going to get out my glue gun and permanently attach them. I think I'm also going to hot glue the knots in the back too, just to make sure they don't unravel.
I'm so happy to have my wreath done. I'm hoping to make another one for my mom. She'll love it!
The pictures were taken on my bed, with my iPhone, because it was during the heat wave here. My town was on brown out and the living room air conditioner wasn't working so well. And it was hot hot hot in the apartment. Since the bedroom air conditioning was working, I barricaded myself in the bedroom for the night. I put on the dvr'd episode of Dallas (my new guilty pleasure for the summer) and started wrapping. So fun!


1 comment:
Hey I pinned that patriotic wreath too! Haven't tried to make it yet. Yours turned out cute! Love it!
Post a Comment