![]() |
| Not my picture, but I thought the colors were amazing. |
Today is Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday. It's the day that everyone should be out partying before the somber season of Lent.
I celebrated Mardi Gras in New Orleans a few years ago. I went there for work about a week before Mardi Gras and it was crazy! Everyone was getting ready for the parades, so there were floats and the colors were awesome. Of course, I walked around Bourbon Street, but didn't participate in that craziness!
And right after that, Hubster and I went on our first vacation together to New Orleans! It was pre-Katrina, so much of the area that was damaged in the storm was there and it makes me sad to think about what was lost in the natural disaster.
I also like to take today to remember a good family friend. Mrs. G. passed away a few years ago, but every year growing up on Mardi Gras, she would make us donuts. She had this awesome recipe and after they were done frying, she would give us a white paper bag with powdered sugar so that we could shake the donuts into it. Every once in awhile, a powdered munchkin from Dunkin Donuts will taste just like hers and I'm instantly transported back to her messy kitchen on Maple Ave.
I haven't had one of those donuts in many years, but I will always smile and think of her on Mardi Gras.
I know that Lent starts tomorrow and in typical Sassy Sarah fashion, I have *no* idea what I will be giving up for Lent. I'm considering giving up pop (it's so bad for you), chocolate, or shopping. All are things that I think would force me to reflect on my need for them. We'll see what I decide tonight.






No comments:
Post a Comment