This morning, Mom and I met up with Mrs. G and Crystal for breakfast.
We haven't seen them since Michael's funeral in September. And I can't remember the last time I saw them before that. It's been years.
So when I heard they were coming back to Buffalo for Easter, I jumped at the chance to see them for brunch.
And I'll admit that last night, I was so tired that all I wanted to do was sleep in. And knowing that Mom was picking me up and there was the potential that she was coming inside, I had to get up earlier to clean up.
But I dragged myself out of bed at 8am this morning. I cleaned the house. And I was ready to go when she got here.
I am *so* glad that I went.
Seeing Crystal again made me feel so good inside. I know she's gone through a lot of tough things in her life. She's had to do and see things that are heartbreaking and would break someone's spirit. But at the heart of her, she's the same Crystal. And catching up with her for a few hours was priceless. It was amazing to see her and hear her voice.
Crystal is probably my oldest friend in the entire world. I have known her since the day she came home from Korea. We spent virtually our entire childhood together. We have been the best of friends and the worst of enemies. I spent months at her house growing up and then spent months of my life hating her guts. We were definitely frenemies. And now we look back and laugh at the fact that we all that crazy stuff when we were younger.
Mrs. G. is exactly the same. She laughs the same and sounds the same. Hearing her voice just brought back such fun childhood memories. And I think a lot of my childhood memories involve Crystal, Michael, and the extended G. family.
Seeing them this morning was so refreshing and fun. And it reminded me that sometimes you can lose touch with someone and when you see them again, it's like nothing's ever changed.
After brunch, Mom came over and we talked for a few hours. I haven't been able to spend that kind of time with Mom in a really long time. And it was so great. I do love talking to her and just relaxing. Without the drama and everything else.
So today, I am very thankful for my mom and for old friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment