Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Marriage Observations

Since we've been "united" in marriage for 4 months now, I thought it might be fun to make some marriage observations. Seeing as I'm now an expert on the subject and all...
  • It's really awesome to live with your best friend.
    I lived alone for 3+ years and in the last year, Paul wasn't even living in town. So it's really nice to see him every day and hang out.
  • You never get anymore alone time.
    Despite the fact that I really did miss living in the same city as the love of my life, it was nice to be able to have some "me" time. I basically did whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. And if I wanted to have a weekend where I sat myself on the couch and watched bad tv, I could do it. And when I got home from work and wanted to eat something processed, I could. I sort of miss that alone time.
  • There is an exponentially higher amount of dishes and laundry.
    When I lived alone, it was manageable to do laundry and run the dishwasher once a week. Now I'm convinced that the laundry basket is full every time I turn around and there's always dishes in the sink. It might also contribute that the hubster leaves his dishes all over the house and refuses to actually load them in said machine, but still...where are they all coming from?!?!
  • You don't have to make any decision alone.
    I like that the serious life decisions that need to be made are done with a partner. I think that it takes the burden of making the wrong decision off of your back alone. It's nice to know if my boat is sinking, I have a friend to hold my hand.
  • There's always someone to play with
    Sometimes I just need someone to listen to my crazy thoughts, indulge my randomness and go along with my schemes. And the perfect person to do that is the husband.
  • My new family
    I am so incredibly blessed to have wonderful in-laws that I can call family. They are ever supportive and wonderful people. I love having more people in my life to chat with and be around.
  • The shower schedule
    I am a solid 10 minute shower person. I can be in and out of the shower in 10 min or less. I think it started in high school when 4 people needed to shower at one time. So I had to hurry. And then it definitely was fostered in college when I didn't want to be in that gross germ pit for more time than necessary. But even though I'm a short shower person, my husband can be in there for upwards of 20 minutes. Every. Single. Morning. Since he leaves before me (see below), theoretically he should be in the shower before me. But since he also hates getting out of bed (not that anyone likes it), he typically gets in the shower about 10 min before I need to be in there. And then I end up scurrying around so I'm not late. So if I need extra time in the shower (ie: shaving, etc), I have to get in there before him. Which really isn't that hard since I generally can get out of bed before him without much difficulty.
  • Someone starts my car every morning before he goes to work
    Yes, I am a lucky, lucky, lucky girl. I love getting into a warm car in the morning.

So I have to say being married definitely has been interesting...but I do love it!

No comments: