So this week my client is a hospital. I've never worked in the healthcare industry before (well I don't really count a 1 or 2 day stint a few years ago), so this is a whole new experience for me. And I don't think I really like this experience so much...
In order to nagivate from the audit room to the client, you have to walk through areas where patients are located: cardiology, ER, urology, and trauma. It's lovely to walk to the client's office and see random people sitting in the ER. (See next paragraph for my rant on the ER.) When on a trek to see someone today, I found that I passed the urology testing center and found that I was standing next to a man heading towards the sign that said "Urology Testing Center". Gross. I don't even want to know or imagine what he was going in for! Thankfully I haven't seen anyone bleeding or having any other awful disease. I have seen numerous people on gurneys...not my idea of a fun time. I guess what really bothers me about being here is that we hear all of the pages. Hearing that there are various emergencies on the trauma floors isn't so exciting. But what really made me sad today was hearing them page a doctor to the neonatal intensive care unit, STAT.
Ok, so my rant about the ER. How come it attracts the most crazy and trashy people EVER? No matter where I am or what time of day it is, there is always some crazy person sitting in there. I understand that this is a place of healing, but are there no normal people that go to the ER? I feel that when I'm waiting in there, if another fairly normal person walks in, in the event that we make eye contact, we acknowledge that we are the only normal people. And, why oh why, when you come to the ER, do you need to bring 800 million people with you? I understanding bringing 1 other person with you, but is there really a need to bring the entire extended family? I think the last few times I have been to the ER (don't even get me started), I either went by myself or I accompanied someone there, just the 2 of us. I didn't feel the need to bring the entire neighborhood.
Ok, so please don't interpret this post as me bashing hospitals. I think they are amazing and do crazy awesome stuff for sick people every single day. I know a whole bunch of people who rely on doctors and would have died instantly if there weren't hospitals. I know that doctors are super important to life and feel they really have a gift. That field of work is something I know that I would not be able to do, ever. Telling someone their loved one is dying or has died has got to be one of the most awful things in life. I couldn't do it and certainly not for a living.
Going home today and I can't wait!! It's not as though Erie, PA is awful, it's just not home. I want to stay in my own bed and wear whatever outfit I want! I bought this really cute dress at Target last weekend and I am really looking forward to wearing it to work tomorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment