Monday, May 2, 2011

God Bless America


It's hard to believe that September 11, 2001 is almost 10 years ago. Like so many other momentus occasions in history, I can remember exactly where I was on that day.

Much like the rest of the world, I spent the day plastered in front of a television trying to get as much information as possible about the attacks. I saw the devastation and was horrified when the World Trade Center collapsed.

I cried and prayed for the innocent lives lost and felt such a pride in my country when President Bush stood amist the rubble and declared that we would make sure that the terrorist would "hear" us.

Like so many other Americans, I supported the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. And I still do. Many brave soldiers are sacrificing their lives, so that I can enjoy the freedom every single day. My brother-in-law spent a year in Iraq as a Marine and I hope he knows how much it was appreciated.

This morning, almost 10 years after the worst act of terrorism on American soil, the mastermind of September 11, is dead.

I have mixed feelings on this event.

On one hand, I am full of American pride. We did not give up in the pursuit of a truly evil man. Justice was served to a man who wanted nothing more than to destroy the fundamentals of the country I love and the people who live here. Our American ancestors fought oppression to allow us to enjoy the freedom and life we have. And I'm willing to fight for that freedom.

Almost 10 years ago, a man who believe killing innocent victims is the answer, attacked the freedoms which we stand and murdered more than 3,000 people. Thousands more have physical wounds that have healed, but emotional scars that will last a life time.

Seeing this man, a terrorist, brought to justice, makes me feel like the good guys can win. Good can prevail over evil. And that justice has been served. No longer can he live in comfort or hurt any more in the world. And for those people whom he murdered, I can only imagine this brings them a sense of peace.

My skepticsm comes from the fact that I feel there could be political motivations behind this attack. That the fact that it comes at a time when our country is facing the possibility of another economic slide. And that the retaliation factor needs to be considered.

But the optimist in my heart says that I need to just enjoy this moment. And rejoice that we have brought to justice an evil man.

I know this does not bring back the thousands of people who died at the hands of a terrorist. But my hope is they will feel that justice has been served for the murder of their loved ones.

No comments: