Thursday, July 18, 2013

Heading to Hell in a Handbasket

*DISCLAIMER*
*What I am about to write in this post, are my own feelings and thoughts.  I understand that not everyone shares my views.  Please respect my opinion as I do yours.*

Lots of newsworthy events are happening in the US these days.  I'm still trying to work out my thoughts on them, so I thought I'd do it below.



Being someone of the Catholic faith, I have grown up with the notion that marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman.  I have watched my parents and grandparents stay strong in their love for each other.  I have also witnessed numerous marriages both in churches and in less formal settings like gardens and parks.  I was married almost 3 years ago, to the love of my life, before God, our family, and our friends.  It was the best day of my life.  A day that I would repeat over and over if given the opportunity.  (But only if someone else foots that bill!)

When the Supreme Court overturned the Defense of Marriage Act, I admit, I was saddened.  To the absolute core of my belief system, I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.  I believe marriage is sacred.  It's not to be entered into lightly.  Marriage is forever.

Here is where I struggle.

I also believe that everyone should be able to spend their lives with whomever they would like.  So if a man wants to love, honor, and cherish another man for the rest of his life, he should be able to do that.  And the same goes for a woman.  If one of the spouses gets sick, the other should be able to make the appropriate medical decisions.  If the unforseen happens and a spouse dies, the surviving spouse should have the same surviving spouse benefits that I would enjoy.  I have gay friends.  I want for them what I want for everyone else...happiness and love.

What I don't believe is that the union between men or women should be called a marriage.  Call it a civil union, a partnership, but the word marriage should be between a man and woman.

While at mass on Sunday, our priest had a very interesting and (at least to me) disturbing homily.  [note:  I don't really like this priest.  I think he has a tendency to talk at you instead of having a meaningful discussion about the readings.]

Fr. D. was upset about the strike down of the Defense of Marriage Act.  He told us that we should be outraged that so many people are going against God's will.  And that if we encounter gay people, we should tell them they are good people, but sinning.  And, of course, try to get them to see God's way.  He then went on to say that we should all feel this way.

This upset me.

I don't think that I'm in any sort of position to call someone out on their "sinning."  I'm a sinner.  So for me to call someone else one is hypocritical and doesn't feel right.  It's not place to judge others' sins.

Additionally, aren't we taught to love your neighbor as yourself?  What about offering the other cheek?  I would much rather show compassion and love.

This is why there is so much hate in the world.  We don't accept others for their differences and try to learn from each other.  Instead we make assumptions and say hurtful things.  It makes me sad. 

I'm hoping to spread some love in the world today and every day.


1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

As you know we share the same faith and core beliefs. My hubby and I too believe marriage is a sacred union between a man and wife with God as our foundation.

It's unfortunate on how your parish priest presented his thoughts, and the actions he encouraged. We have to remember that priests are sinners too, and sometimes they make mistakes or may not give good advice. I'm sure in his heart all he really wants is for ALL (gay people too!) to come to see God's amazing saving grace. The thing is, we know as Catholics that to be a Christian means to strive to turn from sin. I agree, I think it's harsh and unloving to just walk up to a gay person whether you know them or not and call out their sinful behavior. Like you I believe first we need to show love and compassion. Establish a relationship, let our words and actions display God's love and in turn will cause us to want to turn from sin.

Have you ever read the blog post over at Conversion Diary about her conversation with her gay friend on marriage? I just LOVED how she approached it. I don't have any "close friends" that are homosexual, but if I did I think I would take this approach too.

http://www.conversiondiary.com/2012/07/a-conversation-with-my-gay-friend.html