Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Bible


I recently started watching The Bible miniseries on the History Channel.

Wow.

I consider myself a faithful member of the Catholic Church.  I do my best to honor the sacraments and live my life in a way that Jesus would want.  But I am honest.  I am not a perfect Catholic.  I sit in the back.  I don't always sing.  I allow myself to be tempted and don't always want to attend mass on Sunday.  Sometimes I fall to temptation.  And perhaps the biggest note of being a Catholic...I have never read the Holy Bible in its entirety. 

This is not to say that I don't understand what is involved in this holy book.  I certainly have read portions of it.  And I listen to the words on Sunday at mass.  But when some friends told us that we should check out the miniseries, we thought it might be a good idea.

Holy. cow.  It. is. amazing.

I watched the first part which starts with the stories of Genesis and Exodus.  Considering the fact that it’s a miniseries and on the History Channel, I did not expect the production value to be so incredible.  (Sorry History Channel)

Each of the programs is about an hour and half so we only got through the first one before life got in the way and we didn’t have time to watch the rest.

We were home for Easter and talked to my in-laws about the show and they really liked it.  So Sunday, when the finale (the crucifixion and resurrection) were on, we spoiled the ending for ourselves (lol) and watched it.

The finale (or at least the parts that I did see) broke my heart.  I like to think that I have a strong faith.  I recite the Apostle’s Creed each Sunday and believe those words.  I understand that the Lord endured a great amount of suffering for me.  But to see it before your eyes is just something that weighs so heavy on my heart.

We just finished Lent, so I know that now is the time for celebration.  That Jesus suffered because he loves us.  And that we have concluded the dark period and should be rejoicing in the miracle and gifts that we have been given.

So I am hoping that this Easter Season, I can remember what He went through for us.  And do what I can to live up to His standards.  And be the best that I can for others.

Who would have thought a miniseries would be that powerful of a teaching and learning tool!

(PS – We are hoping to get through the episodes in between the beginning and the end this week!)

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

I've heard friends mention this miniseries on FB. I will have to check it out.

www.scripturecatholic.com is an awesome site I refer to a lot. Many protestants like to insinuate that Catholics don't read the bible. And though each individual Catholic may not, the Church is deeply submerged in the Holy Scriptures. It's read EVERY day at Mass. And if you look at that website, all of our Sacraments and beliefs stem from Scripture.