Last year I participated in NaMoBloPo month. It pretty much means that I post something every day. I admit, there were days without posts, but all in all, I had something the vast majority of the time. And this year, I would like to do it again. But with a twist. I will be posting something that I am thankful for every day.
It won't be easy. Some days are tough. Sometimes you just want to rip out your hair. And on those days, I think posting about being thankful for something is what's going to get us through them.
So here's my first day...
Today, I am thankful that we survived Hurricane Sandy with virtually no damage.
We were able to weather the storm pretty well through most of Monday. It wasn't too rainy, but the winds started to pick up around noon. The Hubster and I were working from home, so we left everything plugged in and figured that when the power went out, at least all our phones and computers would be charged.
Around 3, the lights started to flicker and we figured we were on borrowed time. The wind got so bad that it ripped some of the siding off the side of the house!
Then around 5, we lost power for good. We joked about it, turned on the radio, and lit some candles. It wasn't too bad. It sounded like the weather was getting worse, so we ate some soup I cooked on our (thankfully) gas stove and had a romantic meal of canned soup by candlelight!
When we woke up in the morning, it was obvious that there was a lot of destruction but we seemed to have escaped the storm unscathed. We took showers and to our delight found that we still had hot water. And then we took to the streets (which is a no no but we wanted to get out) and found that our favorite bagel place was open and had food, but literally everything else around us was closed and had no power.
We spent Tuesday in the dark and had a game night with our friends and found that work had power and would re-open on Wednesday.
Yesterday, I realized for the devastation around me for the first time. We've not had internet and have been using our phones scarcely, so when I hopped online yesterday morning, it was devastating to see that the Jersey Shore is gone, lower Manhattan is devastated, and that there are like 43 million gallons of water in the subway and car tunnels.
The Hubster and I are more than thankful that we fared so very well. Our power came on yesterday, so we've been able to resume normal life. (Although our cable and internet is not, so we played another game...just not by candlelight!) Currently the cell towers are really messed up so we're having trouble texting friends and family and sometimes we can make phone calls and sometimes not.
Unfortunately, more than 80% of our surroundings are still out of power. Which has brought out the absolute worst in some people. It makes me so sad to see people fighting over gas and food. And there really isn't that much of either. We are contemplating leaving town for the weekend because I think it's going to get much worse if power doesn't come on sooner. Plus, just because the power is back doesn't mean that there's more food. And I don't think I have enough canned goods to last us another 4 days!
Please pray for my region if you can. So many people are without food, power, and warmth. It's getting into the 30s at night, and if you're sleeping in an unheated home with water in it, I can't even imagine how cold that must feel. I hope we can find a solution for them all soon.
So again, I am so very thankful for survival of the storm today. I leave you with a few pictures we took while we were out this morning. And this isn't even the worst of it.




No comments:
Post a Comment