Saturday, February 27, 2010

Unimaginable Loss

I just got a phone call from my mom telling me that an old friend's mom had passed away this morning.

She was very sick with pancreatic cancer and spent the last few months of her life in pain and suffering. So I am happy that she is no longer suffering and is in heaven finding some peace.

But my friend, I don't know how she's doing.

A year and a half ago, her brother passed away unexpectedly. He was 24. It was a complete shock and devastating to those who knew the family.

Due to some unfortunate (and very personal) reasons, my friend didn't have the best relationship with her dad over the past 10 years. And when she lost her brother, she feared that something would happen to her mom and she'd be all alone.

And now her worst fear has come true.

While she is on speaking terms with her father, she is alone in this big world. Her mom, her best friend and confidant, is now with us. And that is huge responsibility to deal with. We're only 27, we shouldn't have to deal with burying our immediate family members yet.

And so with a heavy heart, I send my thoughts and prayers to my sweet old friend. May she find comfort in her friends and family. And the thought that her mom and brother are now her biggest cheerleaders and angels looking down from heaven.

No comments: