This week's Happiness Project is about 3 questions. And they are seriously thought-provoking.
Why are you doing this project?
Ummm...I'm....hmmmm
I think I decided to do this project for a whole bunch of reasons. The first being that it sounded like something fun to do. And since I have a little bit more, okay a lot more, downtime on my hands, I thought I'd give it a try.
Also, the person that started this project is someone who I have been following via her blog for years now. I find her to be a fascinating and amazing person. She's trying to make it work with a job, a life, 3 kids, and a husband. And I admire her. Through reading her blog, she's made me realize that I can try to have it all and it's okay to struggle.
Right now, I don't have any good examples of women in the workplace who can make home and work successful. At my old job, women either sacrificed their jobs or their families to get ahead. and if you tried to have both, you were looked down upon and didn't do a good job at either one.
The blogger that I follow is doing a good job at raising a family and working. And while some days, she makes it clear that something has to give, I feel like it's okay. And that when the time comes, maybe I can have a job and a family. And it'll be okay if one day, the dishes don't get done, my kids don't eat a home-cooked meal, and the work gets put off until the next day.
What is your history in trying to be happy?
I am a happy person. I don't think that I try hard to be happy. Especially when the littlest things in life make me happy - M&Ms, a new pair of shoes, finding a penny on the street, getting a hug, receiving an email from an old friend, giving someone a present. Being happy isn't a hard thing for me.
There are many people in my life who I would consider to be *very* unhappy. And that makes me sad. I know that not everyone is as content and happy as me. But there are 2 specific people that are just downright miserable. I've spent some time trying to make them happy and there's no way that's happening anytime soon.
Goodness knows that I am not always happy. In fact, sometimes I am just a monster to be around (especially after I've had no sleep and I can just feel myself whine uncontrollably). But I know that at the end of my life, I don't want to be the person that's been so miserable and whiny that I have no friends or family with me.
What does happiness look like to you?
Happiness looks like a smile from someone you love, giving someone the perfect present, spending time with someone who needs you, or feeling like you've accomplished something.

1 comment:
Oh Sarah, lord, I don't even know *how* to respond to your (very sweet but flawed!) perception of me. I feel like I am constantly failing at everything, so while your portrayal of me was so flattering and kind...I sort of read it going "is she talking about ME? Has she been reading MY blog?" :)
Thanks for participating - I look forward to your future posts!
Post a Comment