Wednesday, December 30, 2009

5 Years

I think I write about the importance of today every year on this day.

Perhaps because it was life-changing for me. Or perhaps because it was the start of something that I'll never quite comprehend.

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the day that my Grandma Jay went to heaven.

I don't know why 5 years seems so momentous to me. Certainly being without her for 4 years isn't any different than 5 years. Not having been able to speak to her seems like it was long ago, whether it was 2 years or 5 years, it all seems like forever since we last talked.

And yet, I find myself missing her today more than I've missed her in awhile.

Sadly, we lost her years before she physically left us, but knowing that she was here in body is sometimes still a gift. Being able to hug and kiss her is better than nothing at all.

Maybe it's because I have a really special day coming up. Maybe it's because on that special day, I'll have 2 very important people with me in spirit only. Maybe it's because 5 years is a milestone of sorts.

Maybe it's just because she's my grandma and I miss her.

No comments: